08 August 2008

Nice nice for the Canucks!

Yay for the Canadians. Hoorah to our neighbors from the North. According to the Angus Reid online poll:
58% of Canucks think humans evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and 22% believe God created people in their present form within the last 10,000 years.
Hip hip hooray! Nice nice! Yah boo! Phillips is a German and he have my pen! Um...excuse me...

This is my favorite part:
Robert A. Campbell, a former U of T religion prof now with Cape Breton University, said people in 2008 are more likely to form their own opinions on God rather than inherit them.
...more likely to form their own opinions on God rather than inherit them. Now, that's what I like to hear. To be honest, that clearly still leaves open the possibility that stupid people will lean towards stupid answers to their universal questions--little can be done about that, except, of course, mo' betta' education. This does, however, give me hope that current and future generations of smart people are less likely to be yoked with the superstitions of their forebears than their forebears were. I can't even imagine how many perfectly intelligent people out there are religious because they were indoctrinated as children--perfectly good, brainy folks ruined through what I like to call 'intellectual abuse.' Steered in the wrong direction, so to speak. The very wrong direction.

Well, these words from Prof Campbell are indeed uplifting, and this is how I'll set the tone for my day. Optimistic. This will carry me through until I come across the next sad and infuriating article about whatever horrors the religious are perpetuating across this good land of ours, which could be any second now. Better get off the comp before that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment